Second quarter financial results:
- Bristol-Myers Squibb posted second quarter 2014 revenues of $3.9 billion, a decrease of 4% compared to the same period a year ago. Excluding the divested Diabetes Alliance, global revenues increased 7%.
- U.S. revenues decreased 7% to $1.9 billion in the quarter compared to the same period a year ago. International revenues decreased 1% to $2.0 billion.
- Gross margin as a percentage of revenues was 74.5% in the quarter compared to 72.6% in the same period a year ago.
- Marketing, selling and administrative expenses decreased 9% to $951 million in the quarter.
- Advertising and product promotion spending decreased 14% to $187 million in the quarter.
- Research and development expenses increased 49% to $1.4 billion in the quarter and included impairment and acquisition-related charges of $458 million.
- The effective tax rate on earnings before income taxes was 25.4% in the quarter, compared to 0% in the second quarter last year. Income taxes in the second quarter last year reflect a more favorable earnings mix between high and low tax jurisdictions, primarily driven by specified items.
- The company reported net earnings attributable to Bristol-Myers Squibb of $333 million, or $0.20 per share, in the quarter compared to $536 million, or $0.32 per share, a year ago.
- The company reported non-GAAP net earnings attributable to Bristol-Myers Squibb of $798 million, or $0.48 per share, in the second quarter, compared to $730 million, or $0.44 per share, for the same period in 2013. An overview of specified items is discussed under the “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” section.
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $11.1 billion, with a net cash position of $3.3 billion, as of June 30, 2014.
"During the second quarter we delivered strong financial and operating results, invested in key business development opportunities, and achieved important regulatory milestones for products in HCV and immuno-oncology," said Lamberto Andreotti, chief executive officer, Bristol-Myers Squibb. "These results reflect the promise of our late-stage pipeline, the strong performance of our in-line products and the continued success of our strategy in driving growth for the company."
About Bristol-Myers Squibb
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.