The next generation of FlexPen® requires 30% less force when injecting, resulting in a significantly lower injection force compared with SoloSTAR® (2,3,4). Like the current version of FlexPen®, the next generation of FlexPen® provides superior dose accuracy in comparison to SoloSTAR® (2,5,6). In addition, the new device provides a range of new design features aimed at improving safety and simplicity for people with diabetes.
Among the new design features are coloured cartridges, labels and packaging designed to aid insulin type identification for patients. For ease of handling everyday insulin injections, the next generation of FlexPen® has an innovative simple twist mechanism to attach and detach the needle. This makes the device the first pen to be designed for use with a new generation of needles, which have a patented state-of-the-art attachment interface.
"This next generation of FlexPen® is very welcome because it makes the injection process more comfortable for patients," said Professor Andreas PfÃ¼tzner, Institute for Clinical Research and Development, Mainz, Germany. "It introduces key features that will go a long way towards improving their compliance with prescribed treatment."
The next generation of FlexPen® has been tested among patients to assess if the new features translated into actual patient preference. In total, 95% of patients who tried the next generation of FlexPen® said they would prefer to use it, over the current version of FlexPen®. Eighty-nine percent found it more convenient to use, 98% said it took less effort to inject and 83% felt it was safer to operate than the current version of FlexPen®.(7)
The next generation of FlexPen® is available globally from late 2008.
About the next generation of FlexPen®
FlexPen® is the worldâs most widely used prefilled insulin pen, trusted daily by millions of people with diabetes(1,8). The next generation of FlexPen® represents the latest advance in prefilled insulin pens from Novo Nordisk, designed to be simple and convenient to use, and helping to reduce the burden of living with diabetes.
The next generation of FlexPen® is a result of more than 25 years of research and development of insulin delivery systems undertaken since Novo Nordisk invented the insulin pen. Compared to other insulin delivery devices that have to be manually loaded with insulin cartridges, prefilled pens are ready to use, eliminating the step of loading insulin into the delivery device. The next generation of FlexPen® features a single-step dose-setting mechanism, portability and a discreet ânon-medicalâ appearance.
With the next generation of FlexPen® it is not possible to set a dose larger than that remaining in the pen. It permits dose corrections without loss of insulin, and provides doses in one-unit increments up to 60 units per injection (each pen contains 300 units in total). The dose scale of the next generation of FlexPen® automatically returns to zero after injection to allow visual confirmation of dose delivery.
About Novo Nordisk
Novo Nordisk is a healthcare company and a world leader in diabetes care. In addition, Novo Nordisk has a leading position within areas such as haemostasis management, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. Novo Nordisk manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products and services that make a significant difference to patients, the medical profession and society. With headquarters in Denmark, Novo Nordisk employs approximately 26,300 employees in 80 countries, and markets its products in 179 countries. Novo Nordisk's B shares are listed on the stock exchanges in Copenhagen and London. Its ADRs are listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol âNVOâ. For more information, visit www.novonordisk.com.
1) Estimated number of patients using FlexPen®, based on worldwide sales in number of packs sold, IMS worldwide data Q2'08 and Daily Defined Dosage (DDD) for insulin as issued by WHO.
2) PfÃ¼tzner A et al. Prefilled insulin device with reduced injection force: patient perception and accuracy. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24(9): 2545-2549.
3) Rissler J et al. Evaluation of the injection force dynamics of a modified prefilled insulin pen. Expert Opin. Pharmacother 2008; 9(13): 2217-2222.
4) SoloSTAR®, a prefilled injection device, is a registered trademark of Sanofi-Aventis.
5) Asakura T et al. Dosing accuracy of two insulin pre-filled pens. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24(5): 1429â1434.
6) HÃ¤nel H et al. Differences in the Dose Accuracy of Insulin Pens. J Diabetes Sci Technol 2008; 2(3): 478â481.
7) Sommavilla B et al. Safety, simplicity and convenience of a modified prefilled insulin pen. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9(13): 2223â2232.
8) Reimer T et al. Instruction time, Intuitiveness and Patient Acceptance of a Prefilled and a Reusable Insulin Delivery Device - The NovoMix® 30 FlexPen® and the HumaPen® Luxura™. ADA Abstract Book 2007; 56(Suppl 1): A2101-PO.