"We had a very good first quarter highlighted by strong sales growth and significant progress in bringing the promise of Immuno-Oncology across multiple types of cancer to patients," said Giovanni Caforio, M.D., chief executive officer, Bristol-Myers Squibb. "The launch of Opdivo continues to accelerate with data in new cancers, additional indications and continued rapid market adoption. By growing our business and advancing our pipeline, we are successfully executing our growth strategy."
First quarter financial results
- Bristol-Myers Squibb posted first quarter 2016 revenues of $4.4 billion, an increase of 9% compared to the same period a year ago. Global revenues increased 11% adjusted for foreign exchange impact. Excluding Abilify and Erbitux, global revenues increased 31% or 34% adjusted for foreign exchange impact.
- U.S. revenues increased 24% to $2.5 billion in the quarter compared to the same period a year ago. International revenues decreased 7%. When adjusted for foreign exchange impact, international revenues decreased 2%.
- Gross margin as a percentage of revenues was 76.0% in the quarter compared to 79.0% in the same period a year ago.
- Marketing, selling and administrative expenses increased 4% to $1.1 billion in the quarter.
- Research and development expenses increased 12% to $1.1 billion in the quarter.
- The effective tax rate was 27.1% in the quarter, compared to 17.2% in the first quarter last year.
- The company reported net earnings attributable to Bristol-Myers Squibb of $1.2 billion, or $0.71 per share, in the quarter compared to net earnings of $1.2 billion, or $0.71 per share, a year ago.
- The company reported non-GAAP net earnings attributable to Bristol-Myers Squibb of $1.2 billion, or $0.74 per share, in the first quarter, compared to $1.2 billion, or $0.71 per share, for the same period in 2015. An overview of specified items is discussed under the “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Information” section.
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $8.0 billion, with a net cash position of $1.3 billion, as of March 31, 2016.
About Bristol-Myers Squibb
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.